Note: This assignment is designed both to develop the knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with critical evaluation (particularly those discussed in Chapter Seven of the text), but also to provide an opportunity for cooperative learning. Students are asked to select an essay that advances a thesis at odds with their perspective, and to provide their fellow student thoughtful feedback.
Below is the complete “Peer Review” Assignment
Apply the “art of criticism within a deliberative community” to a draft argumentative essay. As you develop your comments, be sure to follow the guidelines outlined in the text. Provide thoughtful, constructive feedback regarding the essay’s fulfillment of all aspects of the argumentative essay assignment. In preparation for this process, be sure to review the criteria for assessment of the argumentative essay. Be sure as well to review Chapters 4-7 (pp. 111-285) of the text, focusing particularly on pp. 240-280. Below are a few additional guidelines for completion of the peer review assignment:
1. Record your name on the essay;
2. Write your comments on the essay itself (providing both specific comments throughout the body of the text and a summary assessment at the end of the document);
3. Provide specific suggestions for revision of the essay;
4. Be sure to identify strengths as well as areas needing improvement;
5. Be sure your comments are thoughtful and constructive, following the guidelines outlined in the final chapter of the text.
Criteria for Assessment of the Peer Review:
• Follows all assignment guidelines
• Reflects understanding of all argumentative essay assignment criteria
• Reflects ability to apply argumentative essay assignment criteria in a concrete context
• Demonstrates ability to apply the art of criticism within a deliberative community (following the guidelines outlined in Chapter 7 of the text)
• Demonstrates ability to identify central and subordinate issues in a concrete context
• Demonstrates ability to assess acceptability of premises, relevance, adequacy of support, comprehensiveness, structural coherence, critical self-reflexivity, responsiveness, accountability, and soundness of argument in a concrete context
• Demonstrates the capacity to communicate clearly and concisely
• Demonstrates sensitivity and responsiveness to interests, needs, beliefs, and values of the broader deliberative community (including all class members, as well as authors of e-reserve readings)
• Demonstrates capacity to provide thoughtful, responsible, and responsive feedback
• Demonstrates ability to assess adherence to appropriate and relevant standards of communication, including grammar, punctuation, and spelling in a concrete context
NOTE: The argumentative essay author is responsible for submission of the peer review. Submission deadline is Wednesday, December 17. Submissions must include: Position Paper (with assessment); Draft Argumentative Essay (with peer review); and Final Argumentative Essay.
TO THE HOME PAGE
Back to Instructional Resources